Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hopkins
(08-10-2017, 10:45 PM)Guest Wrote: Will you learn to operate if you go to residency at Hopkins?  Or just research?

Yes you will. By the middle of your sub-i you will be able to do most of cranial and complex spine cases. There will be attending and residents available to assist in the unlikely case that you might need a hand. Gotta love med students

Assumption is that by the time you do your away Sub-Is you are already committed to NSG. Away Sub-I is about checking out and auditioning for programs that you may be interested in or to beef up your resume in terms of recs or showing things like geographical interests. It is meaningless if you do, or do not, get any "hands on" OR experience. It is important to see how much the residents are getting hands on experience and how they are educated and treated. How the attending and support staff view and interact with residents. How do the residents/chiefs interact among themselves. What is their life like. And most importantly aside from your audition, do you like the residents and can you see yourself spending the next 7 years of your life in that environment with those people.
(09-11-2017, 10:32 AM)Guest Wrote:
(08-10-2017, 10:45 PM)Guest Wrote: Will you learn to operate if you go to residency at Hopkins?  Or just research?

Yes you will. By the middle of your sub-i you will be able to do most of cranial and complex spine cases. There will be attending and residents available to assist in the unlikely case that you might need a hand. Gotta love med students

Assumption is that by the time you do your away Sub-Is you are already committed to NSG. Away Sub-I is about checking out and auditioning for programs that you may be interested in or to beef up your resume in terms of recs or showing things like geographical interests. It is meaningless if you do, or do not, get any "hands on" OR experience. It is important to see how much the residents are getting hands on experience and how they are educated and treated. How the attending and support staff view and interact with residents. How do the residents/chiefs interact among themselves. What is their life like. And most importantly aside from your audition, do you like the residents and can you see yourself spending the next 7 years of your life in that environment with those people.

The poster wasn't asking about the Sub-I operative experience, he/she was asking about the resident operative experience. The question "will you learn to operate if you go to residency at hopkins" was not answered by your post, although you do bring up other valid points I agree with.
(09-11-2017, 10:46 AM)Guest Wrote:
(09-11-2017, 10:32 AM)Guest Wrote:

The poster wasn't asking about the Sub-I operative experience, he/she was asking about the resident operative experience. The question "will you learn to operate if you go to residency at hopkins" was not answered by your post, although you do bring up other valid points I agree with.

You are correct, my bad. As this was a sub-i thread, the answer was to all those who keep asking about gaining operative hands on at sub-i.
What is the situation with the seeming mass exodus at Hopkins? Curious if their program will sway towards recruiting talent and worker bees back to their roster.  

I was looking forward to meeting Coon (endovascular) on Interview Day (1/8), and was told he was out of town – then figured the rumors of him looking elsewhere made sense.  Something seems to be in the water in there.. Ed Ahn (peds, going to Mayo), Kaisorn Chaichana (tumor, now @Mayo ), Geoffrey Colby (endovascular/CV, now @UCLA), Jean-Paul Wolinsky (spine, now @Northwestern).. all within a year…  not to mention Gokaslan at Brown and Quinones at Mayo Jacksonville (appears their technically-gifted elite have left for greener pastures).
(01-24-2018, 01:04 AM)ApplicationCycle2018-2019 Wrote: What is the situation with the seeming mass exodus at Hopkins? Curious if their program will sway towards recruiting talent and worker bees back to their roster.  

I was looking forward to meeting Coon (endovascular) on Interview Day (1/8), and was told he was out of town – then figured the rumors of him looking elsewhere made sense.  Something seems to be in the water in there.. Ed Ahn (peds, going to Mayo), Kaisorn Chaichana (tumor, now @Mayo ), Geoffrey Colby (endovascular/CV, now @UCLA), Jean-Paul Wolinsky (spine, now @Northwestern).. all within a year…  not to mention Gokaslan at Brown and Quinones at Mayo Jacksonville (appears their technically-gifted elite have left for greener pastures).

To be fair.. Z Gokaslan and Q left to be chairs.
(01-24-2018, 01:04 AM)ApplicationCycle2018-2019 Wrote: What is the situation with the seeming mass exodus at Hopkins? Curious if their program will sway towards recruiting talent and worker bees back to their roster.  

Coon gone.
My understanding is that it may in part be financial as maryland made some interesting reimbursement changes to hozpitals.
(01-24-2018, 01:59 AM)Guest Wrote: DnEj

Coon gone. 

RE: Focus - 7 hours agoPosted by Focus - 7 hours ago

My understanding is that it may in part be financial as maryland made some interesting reimbursement changes to hozpitals.

Interesting. Reimbursement for endovascular seems to have its challenges. But based on his case series, you wouldn’t think Hopkins had a problem churning out volume bc of reimbursement - his group publishes fairly large cohorts. Hopkins is either losing money or believes in the cases and doesn’t care?

Either way, I’ve heard him give talks and seems he’s a resident fan favorite - ? maybe he’ll join the ranks of Q’s Mayo Jacksonville venture (giving a small program a substantial advantage with faculty who keep busy and like to teach) .. hoping selfishly, bc it’s a program tier I’m more realistically competitive in.

(05-31-2017, 01:59 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-30-2017, 08:33 PM)Guest Wrote: A friend of mine also did a sub I here and said they did nearly nothing during sub I, except quadruple scrub most days: attending, fellow, resident, than you. The above poster is being nice by saying "rigid hierarchy" [read: malignant], which hopefully has improved with the departure of some select residents, however it trickles down from some of the attendings. The whole point of doing a sub I there is to get a letter from Huang/Brem, which does carry far. If your dream residency is Hopkins, do a sub I there. If your goal is exposure to the field, maybe better to do it somewhere else.

a friend who is a resident there says its a mass exodus of faculty. wolinsky just left for northwestern and others.

UPDATE: add Colby, Chaichana, Ahn, and potentially Coon to that list. Heard Lim was interviewing on the west coast. Their super star-academic chiefs last year didn’t stay on (Goodwin is at Duke, and Elder at Mayo)
How do you guys have time to follow all this? Or is this just one person who really wants to match at Hopkins trying to deter everyone else?
(01-24-2018, 03:04 PM)Guest Wrote: How do you guys have time to follow all this?  Or is this just one person who really wants to match at Hopkins trying to deter everyone else?

Faculty: treads about attending shifts will most likely have less attention after [b]Rank Order List Certification Deadline (Feb. 21)[/b]

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)