Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiers 2017
(11-13-2017, 02:44 PM)TIERS Wrote: Your tier'ing system is awful.  I suspect a medical student must have made up those tiers.  Stanford, Tufts, Cornell, Columbia should not be anywhere in the top 2.  UCSD does not belong in the 4th tier.  How did UCI get into the 2nd tier? Darmouth and Brown were higher than they should be. 

Fixed it for you here:

1. UCSF, Barrow, Pitt, UCLA, Duke, NYU, Cleveland Clinic, Michigan, UVA

2. Brigham, Mayo Clinic, MGH, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, Emory, Jefferson, UT Southwestern, Vanderbilt, Utah, Carolinas, Baylor, USC, Miami, Rush, Florida, Indiana, U Wash, OHSU, UCSD, Penn

3. Columbia, VCU, UNC, U Chicago, Buffalo, Georgetown, Maryland, NIH, Wake Forest, Washington, St. Louis, Cornell, Stanford, Tufts, Wisconsin, USF

4. Albany, Kentucky, Inova, UT Houston, Tenessee, UI Chicago, Rutgers, Iowa, MUSC, Kentucky, George Washington

5. Temple, Nebraska, SUNY Upstate, Oklahoma, Einstein, Alabama, Mississippi, UI Peoria, Allegheny, New Mexico, Geisinger, West Virginia, Wayne State, Houston Methodist, St. Louis, NYMC, UC Irvine, Rochester, Dartmouth, Brown, Beth Israel, Mayo Jacksonville, Mount Sinai, Minnesota, Yale, Penn State, Vermont, LSU, Henry Ford, Hofstra

6. Tulane, Medical College of Wisconsin, LSU Shreveport, Scott and White, UT Galveston, Louisville, Arizona, Missouri, Cincinnati, Medical College of Georgia, Puerto Rico
This post is entertaining. Some dumb fuck sitting around writing out "tiers" as if he/she is an authority? Go back to studying for your mcats
(11-15-2017, 11:03 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-13-2017, 02:44 PM)TIERS Wrote: Your tier'ing system is awful.  I suspect a medical student must have made up those tiers.  Stanford, Tufts, Cornell, Columbia should not be anywhere in the top 2.  UCSD does not belong in the 4th tier.  How did UCI get into the 2nd tier? Darmouth and Brown were higher than they should be. 

Fixed it for you here:

1. UCSF, Barrow, Pitt, UCLA, Duke, NYU, Cleveland Clinic, Michigan, UVA

2. Brigham, Mayo Clinic, MGH, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, Emory, Jefferson, UT Southwestern, Vanderbilt, Utah, Carolinas, Baylor, USC, Miami, Rush, Florida, Indiana, U Wash, OHSU, UCSD, Penn

3. Columbia, VCU, UNC, U Chicago, Buffalo, Georgetown, Maryland, NIH, Wake Forest, Washington, St. Louis, Cornell, Stanford, Tufts, Wisconsin, USF

4. Albany, Kentucky, Inova, UT Houston, Tenessee, UI Chicago, Rutgers, Iowa, MUSC, Kentucky, George Washington

5. Temple, Nebraska, SUNY Upstate, Oklahoma, Einstein, Alabama, Mississippi, UI Peoria, Allegheny, New Mexico, Geisinger, West Virginia, Wayne State, Houston Methodist, St. Louis, NYMC, UC Irvine, Rochester, Dartmouth, Brown, Beth Israel, Mayo Jacksonville, Mount Sinai, Minnesota, Yale, Penn State, Vermont, LSU, Henry Ford, Hofstra

6. Tulane, Medical College of Wisconsin, LSU Shreveport, Scott and White, UT Galveston, Louisville, Arizona, Missouri, Cincinnati, Medical College of Georgia, Puerto Rico
This post is entertaining. Some dumb fuck sitting around writing out "tiers" as if he/she is an authority? Go back to studying for your mcats
Sorry if your program is listed in a low tier but this list is actually about 85% accurate. Fact is that any program that trains NSGs is a great and critical program and you should be proud to be in this specialty regardless. That does not however mean that all are equal. Tiers, instead of rankings, is a useful method of categorizing for applicants.
Gee, Thank you mister! I am proud!
Tiering on what characteristic(s)? Volume of cases, prestige, ability to get you a job in a region you prefer, most fellows, highest paid faculty, hardest to get an interview? It is worth recalling that neurosurgery is tribal. These lists tend to reflect what tribe you are from or what tribe you think will accept you. It is a form of self justification.
(11-17-2017, 01:47 AM)Guest Wrote: Tiering on what characteristic(s)?  Volume of cases, prestige, ability to get you a job in a region you prefer, most fellows, highest paid faculty, hardest to get an interview?  It is worth recalling that neurosurgery is tribal.  These lists tend to reflect what tribe you are from or what tribe you think will accept you.  It is a form of self justification.

Exactly. The type of applicant interested in MGH, Stanford, Cornell, UCSF is going to be entirely different than the Mayo, Barrow, Pitt crowd.
Bored waiting for a case to start so Im going to throw my tribal spear in with my edit

1. UCSF, Barrow, Pitt, MGH, Hopkins, Mayo, UWash

2. Brigham,  Northwestern, Emory, Jefferson, UT Southwestern, Vanderbilt, Baylor, USC, Miami, UCSD, Penn, Duke, NYU, Cleveland Clinic, Michigan, Columbia, Stanford, Washu, Emory

3. Everyone else
I wonder if organizing programs into thematic groups might be more helpful to current applicants thinking about which places are a good match for them than a simple scale of “better” vs. “worse”? 

This is how I thought about these places. I recognize many may disagree about what these categories should be or which programs should lie where. That’s kind of the point: if you register your disagreement and explain *why* it many help applicants understand the programs better. FWIW I think all these programs are fantastic for some applicants.

Balanced programs with strong operative and research opportunities: UCSF, Mayo, Hopkins, UCLA, Wash. U.

Strong academic programs where there is some concern about operative volume and/or autonomy: Columbia, Stanford, MGH, UCSD, Michigan

Programs with firehose volume: NYU, Emory, USC, U. Washington, Pitt

Small programs associated with a fancy university: Brown, Beth Israel, Dartmouth, Yale, Tufts

Programs with unique opportunities: Barrow, UVA/NIH

There are also some great programs I didn’t classify because I don’t know well or don’t have strong feelings about: Utah, Penn, Vandy, OHSU, Baylor, Miami, UVA, Brigham. Their absence is not intended as a burn...

-TT
Best programs if you want to be an academic big shot: MGH, UCSF, Columbia, Hopkins, Mayo, UVA, Pitt, Duke, Penn, Wash U

Best programs if you're leaning towards PP: USC, Baylor, Miami, Ohio State, Jefferson, Indiana, Rush, Cleveland Clinic, NYU, U Wash

(11-18-2017, 06:54 PM)Guest Wrote: Best programs if you want to be an academic big shot: MGH, UCSF, Columbia, Hopkins, Mayo, UVA, Pitt, Duke, Penn, Wash U

Best programs if you're leaning towards PP: USC, Baylor, Miami, Ohio State, Jefferson, Indiana, Rush, Cleveland Clinic, NYU, U Wash

Throw Barrow into the latter category
(11-18-2017, 06:54 PM)LGuest Wrote: Best programs if you want to be an academic big shot: MGH, UCSF, Columbia, Hopkins, Mayo, UVA, Pitt, Duke, Penn, Wash U

(11-18-2017, 06:54 PM)Guest Wrote: Best programs if you want to be an academic big shot: MGH, UCSF, Columbia, Hopkins, Mayo, UVA, Pitt, Duke, Penn, Wash U

Throw Barrow into the latter category
Dude, Cleveland Clinic is not at all a program for people interested in private practice.
U Wash and USC have as much academic productivity and funded neurosurgery faculty as the programs you list in the academic list

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)