Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AOA
dude AOA is not a walk in the park. you busy your butt to get AOA

GHHS is a popularity contest!!! full of BS people
(02-13-2018, 05:45 PM)Guest Wrote: dude AOA is not a walk in the park. you busy your butt to get AOA

GHHS is a popularity  contest!!! full of BS people

Lie. You bust your butt to be AOA eligible at my school but then everyone lies on their apps with volunteering and leadership - its sickening.

GHHS may have elements of a popularity contest to get nominated, but those that ultimately get selected are usually the ones with more humanistic qualities as seen in their patient interactions and evaluations.

The real point is that NONE of these distinctions hurt an applicant at all, and a certain amount of good qualities go into both (hardworking, bedside manner, etc). The criteria and manner by which people are selected are certainly open for criticism and efforts to make such selections more objective/fair, for both AOA and GHHS. There are obvious flaws.

So yes, being AOA and/or GHHS will get approving nods from programs - but not having either/or will NOT break your application and restrict interview invites. If you're truly passionate about neurosurgery for the patients, for the fight against devastating disease, for the privilege of contributing towards scientific discovery - just focus on the quality of your work and stop focusing on getting awards.
(02-13-2018, 03:48 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 02:19 PM)Guest Wrote: AOA is the biggest sham and lie - if you are white, rich, and well connected you already win the game.

Minorities should work together to share resources, mentor other minorities and students that are underrepresented in medicine.

And as a field, we as neurosurgeons should not think AOA means academic merit as much as it means class, wealth, and whiteness.

"After controlling for US Medical Licensing Examination Step 1 scores, research productivity, community service, leadership activity, and Gold Humanism membership, the study found that black (adjusted odds ratio [aOR], 0.16; 95% CI, 0.07-0.37) and Asian (aOR, 0.52; 95% CI, 0.42-0.65) medical students remained less likely to be AΩA members than white medical students. " From the JAMA article

Way to not control for GRADES, the number one criteria for AOA. lol
Way to not understand basic principles of study design.
We actually ding people in Gold. Too Touchy Feely, not MTG enough.
(02-13-2018, 08:23 PM)Guest Wrote: We actually ding people in Gold.  Too Touchy Feely, not MTG enough.

Agreed. Gold is largely an SJW mutual admiration society. AOA is for the kids who took off from the wards at 10 AM to crush UWORLD questions at the library all day.
(02-13-2018, 07:52 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 03:48 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 02:19 PM)Guest Wrote: AOA is the biggest sham and lie - if you are white, rich, and well connected you already win the game.

Minorities should work together to share resources, mentor other minorities and students that are underrepresented in medicine.

And as a field, we as neurosurgeons should not think AOA means academic merit as much as it means class, wealth, and whiteness.

"After controlling for US Medical Licensing Examination Step 1 scores, research productivity, community service, leadership activity, and Gold Humanism membership, the study found that black (adjusted odds ratio [aOR], 0.16; 95% CI, 0.07-0.37) and Asian (aOR, 0.52; 95% CI, 0.42-0.65) medical students remained less likely to be AΩA members than white medical students. " From the JAMA article

Way to not control for GRADES, the number one criteria for AOA. lol
Way to not understand basic principles of study design.

Nice trolling. You can't even explain how grades shouldn't be factored in, when grades are the most important selection criteria.
(02-13-2018, 01:57 PM)Guest Wrote: My PD says GHHS>>>AOA; character > scores

AOA just means white privilege keeping medicine and surgical specialties an old white club

See below:
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaint...ct/2607210

what program
(02-14-2018, 06:38 PM)Guest Wrote:

AOA just means white privilege keeping medicine and surgical specialties an old white club

See below:

what program
Top NE program
That doesn't exactly stand up to logical IMO... GHHS at my school is student body nominated on completely subjective criteria. AOA, although the selection process definitely differs between institutions, is at least an objective measure of performance. And, for what it's worth, the AOA process I'm familiar with does also include quality of 3rd year clerkship evaluations (at least to some degree). What's the thought process behind that hierarchy you mentioned if you don't mind me picking your brain a bit?
(02-14-2018, 07:13 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 06:38 PM)Guest Wrote:

See below:

what program
Top NE program

Oxymoron.  There are no top programs I'm the NE anymore

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)