Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any chance for someone not from top med schools?
(03-20-2018, 03:15 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-20-2018, 01:59 AM)SirVictorHorseley Wrote: Like others have posted, state school is a meaningless term when it comes to neurosurgery.  

Where you went to medical school doesn't matter if you are an outstanding applicant.  It matters a lot if you are a mediocre/average applicant. If you have high board scores (260+), a good publication record and great letters, you can match anywhere regardless of med school.  If you are an average to below average applicant aka 240, minimal pubs, average letters, and are coming from a school with no home program or a very weak home program you might slip through the cracks.  Whereas if you went to a top med school or somewhere with a strong program, school name and networking would probably get you a spot somewhere. A place with a strong program is also more likely to have good mentors who will tell you what you need to do to match, i.e. take time off for research etc. based on your application.

It is hard to get a good publication record if you are from a school with no program or a program that doesn't have residents/faculty who publish much. It is hard to get good letters outside your home institution, meaning it is hard to get good letters period if you don't have a home program.  People do it every year, but like others have said it will require you to put in a lot of effort and initiative. That shouldn't discourage someone who plans on going into neurosurgery.

Also Berger letters are always useless, so whoever posted that clearly has never read one.

So for someone with a step 1 score of 240+ and from low tier state school (by that I mean not UVA, UNC or UF or Michigan. I mean schools like University of New Mexico, University of Nevada, University of Arizona, University of Kansas, etc.), there is slim chance to match to neurosurgery?  I had wanted to be a neurosurgeon since college, but want to be realistic about my goal

I wouldn't say that you have a slim chance.  You probably have a good chance, but I wouldn't expect to match just because you are a pretty good student in your medical school. I don't think most people care much about the med school name, just what is in your application. You need to be proactive about figuring out how to put together a competitive application.  You should be proactive about reaching out to mentors in your institution and outside your institution to help figure out what you need to do. You might need to take a year off to do neurosurgical research, which in my mind is much better than not matching.
The survey did show some statistically significant regional difference in applicants who matched at their top 3 or top choice program. Ivy leagues maybe? Who knows. That being said. It shouldn’t make a difference on ability to match at all. SubIs are key. Be strategic about them and do well.
The regional difference seems to favor Midwestern applicants.
(03-22-2018, 11:26 AM)Guest Wrote: The regional difference seems to favor Midwestern applicants.

Maybe they are being less picky about their top choices and/or their home programs are more friendly to their local applicants and more likely to have their backs from falling through the cracks
Preference analysis should probably exclude those that matched at home or sub-i's
(03-18-2018, 07:30 PM)Guest Wrote: PI am currently a M2. Just took Step 1, and am waiting for my score. I looked at the match list from last year and this year.  Looks like the vast majority matched are from top schools like HMS, Duke, Stanford, Penn, etc. I am from state school. I wonder if it is realistic for someone like me to have a chance to match. Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

Just got my score back: 231.  I am totally crushed and disappointed. Looks like my dream of being neurosurgeon will not be possible.  I worked so hard for the last 2 years, and just felt empty now.
u can still match, it'll just be much harder now. You Will need to do a research year, 3aways+home sub I if you have a home program, etc... You can apply to both NSG and a backup just in case. Don't expect to match at a "top tier".
(03-28-2018, 03:41 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-18-2018, 07:30 PM)Guest Wrote: PI am currently a M2. Just took Step 1, and am waiting for my score. I looked at the match list from last year and this year.  Looks like the vast majority matched are from top schools like HMS, Duke, Stanford, Penn, etc. I am from state school. I wonder if it is realistic for someone like me to have a chance to match. Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

Just got my score back: 231.  I am totally crushed and disappointed. Looks like my dream of being neurosurgeon will not be possible.  I worked so hard for the last 2 years, and just felt empty now.

Plenty of people have matched with worse scores. Just go look at the NRMP stats.

Get back on the horse, go crush a shit ton of research, you'll be fine.
1. Research
2. Stand out on your aways
You might match at a declining program like Emory or duke

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)